Multiple uses and benefits of API are explained by Nicolas Sierro our COO to ICT journal.
Here are some key takeaways:
– In the future, the only stable element will be the interface.
– The growth of API in “traditional” companies is also related to the overall demand and budgets allocated for the development of mobile apps that benefit from an efficient API architecture.
– APIs also imply greater confidentiality risks and brand dissolution. When we open an API to everyone, we do not know how it will be used.
– It is not enough to offer your services and data for apps developer to use them. As developers are highly solicited, in order to seduce them your API must provide access to valuable services.
– In order to gain traction, you must also provide complementary services such as monitoring especially if the service is paid. And be careful with the retroactive compatibility when you create a new version. Launching an API is like a promise that you must fulfill.
– The right strategy is to create API no matter what happens, first for the advantages it gives internally. After that, what we get on top of this, is an extra bonus.
You can access the original article in French here.